Sunday, April 20, 2008

I survived the San Diego Mud Run

Last Sunday I ran the 5k San Diego Mud Run. Since I got back into shape I thought it would be something cool to try. Looking at all the past photos everyone looked like they were having a blast getting all muddy and such. So after some pressure from my mom - who was also participating in the mud run - I signed up. Besides how hard could running 3.1 miles though the mud be?... I'll tell you, that run was one of the most challenging experiences that I have ever had to face.

The course was a 5k adventure through mud, over walls, and over a large hill. Half way though as I looked up at the huge incline that I still had to tackle, I thought to myself "Gary, what did you get yourself into?!?" But I kept pressing though, and did rather well. My goal was to finish the course in 40 minutes, and I ended up finishing in 34:30. I ranked 33 in my age class, and 180 overall. Not too bad for my first mud run.

I worked so hard over the last year to loose weight and get back into shape; So to be able to run a 5k event through the mud is big deal for me. If this was a year prior I think I would have killed myself trying. Come to think of it I don't think I would have given it any thought.

I do have to give a big thanks to my iPod. Since I didn't run with a team my iPod was there to keep me motivated. I don't know about you, but running is BORING, and I needed something to keep my mind off of the heat, and my pounding heart. Everyone said I would be sorry for bringing it along, but my little armband did it's job and kept the iPod dry. I had songs like Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" that helped me keep a good pace. I also had the motivational songs like "My Hero" from the Foo Fighters that helped me over the hill.

If you are considering doing an event like the mud run, I say go for it. The feeling you get when you cross the finish line is a feeling like no other. If you were at the mud run, or did something similar I would love to share experiences.

Here are some photos of the event


I'm Almost there!


My niece wanted to join the fun


My mom, my niece, and myself

0 comments: