Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The American Gangster is the Ideal Marketer

So this post goes out to my buddy Steve. He kept pushing me to watch The American Gangster. He wanted me to watch it not just because it was a good gangster movie, but because it was all about marketing. He knew I would like it so much that he bought it for me for my birthday. So I finally got around to watching it, and I have to say he was right I LOVED it. Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe did an awesome job. This movie is up there with Blow, and Scarface.

My friend Steve was right about the marketing as well. Unless you are a marketing geek like myself you might have got lost in the gangster theme and not had paid any attention to the marketing undertone. Denzel's character was the ultimate marketer. He wasn't like the typical gangster/drug dealer. Brand awareness, and customer loyalty was everything. He did the opposite of all his competitors; he made sure that they had the highest quality product at the fraction of the price. He made sure his brand "Blue Magic" stood for high quality. At one point in the movie he found out that someone was impersonating his brand with a lower quality product. He put a stop to that, because it was bringing down the brand.

We should all strive to be like Frank Lucas...
Let me rephrase that; we should all model our business practices after Frank Lucas. He said to run a TRUE business it takes honesty, integrity, hard work, and dedication.

0 comments: