Sunday, March 9, 2008

The "Secret" to Marketing Success is Gaining Momentum

For those of you who don't know me personally, you may not know that I over the last year I have lost a good deal of weight. The other day ago a friend ask what my "secret" was. I said that I didn't have a secret. Then they said, "Then how did you do it, what was the formula to your success?" I then went on to explain that I didn't have one thing that led to my success. I tried a bit of everything some things worked and somethings didn't. Just like everyone I had good days and bad, and at times it seemed like it would be impossible. When I found out what worked, and started gaining momentum i just got easier. Then it just felt like I was on autopilot.

You are probably thinking what does this have to do with online marketing. Just like in the scenario with my friend a lot of people wants to know the "secret" to success with online marketing. I look at it like climbing up an over a big hill on roller skates. When you are at the bottom looking up it may seem like an impossible task. As you start up the hill your progress is slow. There may be times when you feel like you may loose control at any minute and slide all the way to the bottom. As you continue on you may slide back a bit, but you keep pushing. Once you get the hang of and you start to build momentum it gets easier and easier. By the time you are up and over the hill it requires very little effort on your part, and you just coast along.

In The Wizard of Ads, Roy Williams used the analogy of pushing a car and inertia. When you first start you use every ounce of strength that you have to get it going, then as you get going you find strength that you didn't know you had. It gets easier, but you still have doubts. Once you get some distance behind you get confidence and push even harder. Before you know it are trotting behind the car barely having to push at all. He goes on to state that the law of inertia is your enemy at first, but becomes your ally in the end.

When it comes to online marketing there I don't think that there is a "secret recipe" or "formula" for success. Just because it worked for one person doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. What you have to do is take a little bit from here, and a little bit from there. Some things will work and others will require a little tweaking. But once you start gaining momentum you can glide along and bask in the glory of your success.

0 comments: